1. Friends pick us up when we fall down and, if they can’t pick us up they lie down and listen for a while.
2. Friendship is like a bank account. You can’t continue to draw on it without making deposits.
3. Friends are as companions on a journey, who ought to aid each other to persevere in the road to a happier life.
4. You have people come into your life shockingly and surprisingly. You have losses that you never thought you’d experience. You have rejection and you have to learn how to deal with that and how to get up the next day and go on with it.
– Taylor Swift
5. Someone’s opinion of you does not have to become your reality.
– Les Brown
6. People are so fearful about opening themselves up. All you want to do is to be able to connect with other people. When you connect with other people, you connect with something in yourself. It makes you feel happy. And yet it’s so scary – it makes people feel vulnerable and unsafe.
– Toni Collette
7. Growing apart doesn’t change the fact that for a long time we grew side by side; our roots will always be tangled. I’m glad for that.
– Ally Condie, Matched
8. A friend is one that knows you as you are, understands where you have been, accepts what you have become, and still, gently allows you to grow.
– William Shakespeare
9. I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
– Maya Angelou
10. Don’t chase people. Be yourself, do your own thing, and work hard. The right people, the ones who really belong in your life, will come to you. And stay.
– Will Smith
11. Far too many people are looking for the right person, instead of being the right person.
– Gloria Steinem
12. It happens to everyone as they grow up. You find out who you are and what you want, and then you realize that people you’ve known forever don’t see things the way you do. So you keep the wonderful memories, but find yourself moving on.
– Nicholas Sparks
13. A healthy relationship will never require you to sacrifice your friends, your dreams or your dignity.
– Dinkar Kalotra
14. Seek first to understand – then seek to be understood.
– Steven Covey
15. Adolescence is when girls experience social pressure to put aside their authentic selves and to display only a small portion of their gifts.
– Mary Pipher
16. I think if I’ve learned anything about friendship, it’s to hang in, stay connected, fight for them, and let them fight for you. Don’t walk away, don’t be distracted, don’t be too busy or tired, don’t take them for granted. Friends are part of the glue that holds life and faith together. Powerful stuff.
– Jon Katz
17. When people walk away from you, let them go. Your destiny is never tied to anyone who leaves you and it doesn’t mean they are bad people. It just means that their part in your story is over.
18. You can’t stay in your corner of the Forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes.”
– A. Milne, Winnie the Pooh
19. Give, but don’t allow yourself to be used. Love, but don’t allow your heart to be abused. Trust, but don’t ne naïve. Listen, but don’t lose your own voice.
20. You have to let people go. Everyone who is in your life is meant to be in your journey, but not all of them are meant to stay till the end.
21. Stop trying to change someone who doesn’t want to change.
Stop giving chances to someone who abuses your forgiveness.
Stop walking back to the place where your heart ran from.
Stop trusting their words and ignoring their actions.
Stop breaking your own heart.
22. Just because someone desires you does not mean that they value you. Read it over. Again. Let those words resonate in your mind.
23. To make a difference in someone’s life, you don’t have to be brilliant, rich, beautiful, or perfect. You just have to care enough to be there.
24. Love is friendship that has caught fire. It is quiet understanding, mutual confidence, sharing and forgiving. It is loyalty through good and bad times. It settles for less than perfection and makes allowances for human weaknesses.
– Ann Landers
25. Never take someone’s feeling for granted because you never know how much courage it took for them to show it to you.
26. A lot of the problems in the world would disappear if we talked with each other instead of about each other
27. I know what I bring to the table – so trust me when I say I’m not afraid to eat alone.
28. When you say “yes” to others, make sure you aren’t saying “no” to yourself
– Paulo Coelho
29. No road is long with good company.
– Turkish Proverb
30. Keep away from those who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you believe that you too can become great.
– Mark Twain
31. The greatest compliment that was ever paid me was when someone asked me what I thought, and attended to my answer.
– Henry David Thoreau
32. When we’re incomplete, we’re always searching for somebody to complete us. When, after a few years or a few months of a relationship, we find that we’re still unfulfilled, we blame our partners and take up with somebody more promising.
This can go on and on–series polygamy–until we admit that while a partner can add sweet dimensions to our lives, we, each of us, are responsible for our own fulfillment.
Nobody else can provide it for us, and to believe otherwise is to delude ourselves dangerously and to program for eventual failure every relationship we enter.
– Tom Robbins
33. When you hold resentment toward another, you are bound to that person or condition by an emotional link that is stronger than steel. Forgiveness is the only way to dissolve that link and get free.
– Catherine Ponder
34. Loving people live in a loving world. Hostile people live in a hostile world. Same world.
– Wayne Dwyer
35. Wishing to be friends is quick work, but friendship is a slow-ripening fruit.
36. False friends are like our shadow, keeping close to us while we walk in the sunshine, but leaving us the instant we cross into the shade.
– Christian Nevell Bovee
37. You can make more friends in two months by becoming interested in other people than you can in two years by trying to get other people interested in you.
– Dale Carnegie
38. Don’t waste your love on somebody, who doesn’t value it.
– William Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet
39. The loss of young first love is so painful that it borders on the ludicrous.
– Maya Angelou
40. Never allow someone else to be your priority while allowing yourself to be their option.
– Mark Twain
41. There is nothing better than a friend, unless it is a friend with chocolate.
– Linda Grayson
42. You can have trouble with friendships even if you are a very worthy friend, simply because others are changing so much or so often. This is the moving target phenomenon.
– From the site
43. A friend may be waiting behind a stranger’s face.
– Maya Angelou, Letter to My Daughter
44. The gift of friendship… a willingness to listen… a pair of helping hands… a whisper from the heart. That someone cares and understands.
45. I get by with a little help from my friends.
– John Lennon
46. Friendship is a living thing that lasts only as long as it is nourished with kindness, empathy and understanding.
47. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong.
– Mahatma Gandhi
48. Emotional Intelligence is a way of recognizing, understanding, and choosing how we think, feel, and act. It shapes our interactions with others and our understanding of ourselves. It defines how and what we learn; it allows us to set priorities; it determines the majority of our daily actions. Research suggests it is responsible for as much as 80% of the “success” in our lives.
– J. Freedman
49. Your value doesn’t decrease based on someone’s inability to see your worth.
50. Networking is simply the cultivating of mutually beneficial, give and take, win-win relationships. It works best, however, when emphasizing the ‘give’ part.
– Bob Burg
51. Authenticity requires a certain measure of vulnerability, transparency and integrity.
– Janet Louise Stephenson
52. It is very important to understand that emotional intelligence is not the opposite of intelligence, it is not the triumph of heart over head–it is the unique intersection of both.
– David Caruso
53. Assumptions are the termites of relationships.
– Henry Winkler
54. Friendship is the hardest thing in the world to explain. It’s not something you learn in school. But, if you haven’t learned the meaning of friendship, you really haven’t learned anything.
– Muhammad Ali
55. We are all longing to go home to some place we have never been — a place half-remembered and half-envisioned we can only catch glimpses of from time to time. Community. Somewhere, there are people to whom we can speak with passion without having the words catch in our throats. Somewhere a circle of hands will open to receive us, eyes will light up as we enter, voices will celebrate with us whenever we come into our own power. Community means strength that joins our strength to do the work that needs to be done. Arms to hold us when we falter. A circle of healing. A circle of friends. Someplace where we can be free
56. The first duty of love is to listen
– Paul Tillich
57. The most basic of all human needs is the need to understand and to be understood. The best way to understand people is to listen to them.
– Ralph G. Nichols
58. One way to meet new people is to listen more carefully to the people you see every day.
– Robert Brault
59. Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.
– Steven Covey
60. Listening. Why listening? As I reflected on the first 56 years of my life and considered who seemed to stand out in business, academic, social and interpersonal settings, I remembered they had one thing in common: They were all great listeners.
– Cash Nickerson, Listening as a Martial Art