Perseverance and Resilience
1. Hardships often prepare ordinary people for an extraordinary destiny
– C. S. Lewis
2. Throw me to the wolves and I will come back leading the pack
3. She was unstoppable, not because she did not have failures or doubts, but because she continued on despite them.
– Beau Taplin
4. Endurance is one of the most difficult disciplines, but it is to the one that endures that the final victory comes
5. If you can’t fly, then run
If you can’t run, then walk
If you can’t walk, then crawl
But whatever you do, you have to keep moving forward.
– Martin Luther King, Jr.
6. Do not judge me by my successes. Judge me by how many times I fell down and got back up again.
– Nelson Mandela
7. Expect trouble as an inevitable part of life, and when it comes, hold your head high, look it squarely in the eye and say, ‘I will be bigger than you. You cannot defeat me.’
– Ann Landers
8. Never let success get to your head. Never let failure get to your heart.
9. I may not be there yet, but I’m closer than I was yesterday.
10. The struggle you’re in today is developing the strength you need for tomorrow.
11. Go as long as you can – and then take another step
12. The wonderful thing about saints is that they were human. They lost their tempers, got hungry, scolded God, were egotistical or impatient in their turns, made mistakes and regretted them. Still they went on doggedly blundering toward heaven.
– Phyllis McGinley
13. Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says…I’ll try again tomorrow.
– Mary Anne Radmacher-Hershey
14. Resilience is very different than being numb. Resilience means you experience, you feel, you fail, you hurt. You fall. But, you keep going.
– Yasmin Mogahed
15. Life doesn’t get easier or more forgiving, we get stronger and more resilient.”
– Steve Maraboli. Life, the Truth and Being Free
16. The difference between failing and falling is whether you choose to get up.
– Danya Cooper
17. Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.
– Winston Churchill
18. When something bad happens, you have three choices:
You can let it define you
You can let it destroy you
You can let it strengthen you
19. My scars remind me that I did indeed survive my deepest wounds. That in itself is an accomplishment. And they bring to mind something else, too. They remind me that the damage life has inflicted on me has, in many places, left me stronger and more resilient. What hurt me in the past has actually made me better equipped to face the present.”
– Steve Goodier
20. Willpower is the key to success. Successful people strive no matter what they feel by applying their will to overcome apathy, doubt or fear.
– Dan Millman
21. History has demonstrated that the most notable winners usually encountered heartbreaking obstacles before they triumphed. They won because they refused to become discouraged by their defeats.
– C. Forbes
22. Don’t wait until you’ve reached your goal to be proud of yourself. Be proud of every step you take toward reaching that goal.
23. You never know what’s around the corner. It could be everything. Or it could be nothing. You keep putting one foot in front of the other, and then one day you look back and you’ve climbed a mountain.
– Tom Hiddleston
24. Look at a stone cutter hammering away at his rock, perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the hundred-and-first blow it will split in two, and I know it was not the last blow that did it, but all that had gone before.
– Jacob Riis
25. If I had to select one quality, one personal characteristic that I regard as being most highly correlated with success, whatever the field, I would pick the trait of persistence. Determination. The will to endure to the end, to get knocked down seventy times and get up off the floor saying. “Here comes number seventy-one!
– Richard Devos
26. Being strong doesn’t mean you’ll never get hurt. It means even when you get hurt, you’ll never let it defeat you.
27. If Plan A didn’t work, the alphabet has 25 more letters. Stay cool.
28. Perseverance is stubbornness with a purpose.
– Josh Shipp
29. Stay patient and trust your journey.
30. Life challenges. Trust your struggle.
31. It’s hard to beat a person who never gives up.
– Babe Ruth
32. A gem is not polished without rubbing, nor a man perfected without trials.
– Chinese proverb
33. When one door closes, another door opens; but we so often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door, that we do not see the ones which open for us.
– Alexander Graham Bell
34. Age wrinkles the body. Quitting wrinkles the soul.
– General Douglas MacArthur
35. My greatest point is my persistence. I never give up in a match. However down I am, I fight until the last ball. My list of matches shows that I have turned a great many so-called irretrievable defeats into victories.
– Bjorn Borg
36. Permanence, perseverance and persistence in spite of all obstacles, discouragements, and impossibilities: It is this that in all things distinguishes the strong soul from the weak.
– Thomas Carlyle
37. There is in this world no such force as the force of a person determined to rise. The human soul cannot be permanently chained.
– W.E.B. Dubois
38. If you’re going through hell, keep going.
– Winston Churchill
39. Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.
– Mahatma Gandhi
40. Iron is full of impurities that weaken it; through forging, it becomes steel and is transformed into a razor-sharp sword. Human beings develop in the same fashion.
– Morihei Ueshiba, The Art of Peace
41. You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take.
– Wayne Gretzky
42. The most authentic thing about us is our capacity to create, to overcome, to endure, to transform, to love and to be greater than our suffering.
– Ben Okri
43. Getting over a painful experience is much like crossing monkey bars. You have to let go at some point in order to move forward.
– C.S. Lewis
44. A bend in the road is not the end of the road…Unless you fail to make the turn.
– Helen Keller
45. Success is measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome.
– Booker T. Washington
46. When one door closes another door opens; but we so often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door, that we do not see the ones which open for us.
– Alexander Graham Bell
47. When the thunder rumbles,
“Now the age of gold is dead.”
When the dreams we’ve clung to
Trying to stay young,
Have left us parched and old instead.
When my courage crumbles,
When I feel confused and frail,
When my spirit falters on decaying altars
And my illusions fail —
I go on right then.
I go on again.
I go on to say I will celebrate another day.
I go on.
If tomorrow tumbles
And everything I love is gone,
I will face regret all my days, and yet
I will still go on.
– Leonard Bernstein, from Bernstein’s Mass
48. You’ve got to get up every morning with determination if you’re going to go to bed with satisfaction.
– George Horace Lorimer
49. Even the woodpecker owes his success to the fact that he uses his head and keeps pecking away until he finishes the job he starts.
– Coleman Cox `
50. The grass isn’t greener on the other side – it’s greener where you water it
51. But there is suffering in life, and there are defeats. No one can avoid them. But it’s better to lose some of the battles in the struggles for your dreams than to be defeated without ever knowing what you’re fighting for.
– Paul Coelho
52. It’s not that I’m so smart, it’s just that I stay with problems longer.
– Albert Einstein
53. Although he world is full of suffering, it is also full of overcoming it.
– Helen Keller
54. Be not afraid of growing slowly, be afraid only of standing still.
– Chinese Proverb
55. If you try anything, if you try to lose weight, or to improve yourself, or to love, or to make the world a better place, you have already achieved something wonderful, before you even begin. Forget failure. If things don’t work out the way you want, hold your head up high and be proud. And try again. And again. And again!
– Sarah Dessen, Keeping the Moon
56. Success seems to be connected with action. Successful people keep moving. They make mistakes, but they don’t quit.
– Conrad Hilton, Hilton Hotels
57. You may encounter many defeats, but you must not be defeated. In fact, it may be necessary to encounter the defeats, so you can know who you are, what you can rise from, how you can still come out of it.
– Maya Angelou
58. What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight – it’s the size of the fight in the dog.
– Dwight Eisenhower, U.S General and President
59. To get lost is the learn the way
– African Proverb
60. Perseverance is not a long race. It is many short races one after the other.
– Walter Elliot
61. The greatest oak was once a little nut that held its ground.
62. Whenever you find yourself doubting how far you can go, just remember how far you have come. Remember everything you have faced, all the battles you have won, all the fears you have overcome.
63. A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure despite overwhelming obstacles.
– Christopher Reeve
64. The moment in-between what you once were and who you are now becoming is where the dance of life really takes place.
– Barbara de Angelis
65. Life is not so much about beginnings and endings as it is about going on and on and on. It is about muddling through the middle.
– Anna Quindlen